Sunday, May 13, 2012

Tex-Mex Seven Layer Dip



Without a doubt, my favorite party food is seven layer dip. With one deft swoop of a wide-brimmed tortilla chip, you can shovel a delectable and flavor-packed bite of seven unique tastes and textures into your open mouth. Also, since there is guacamole and salsa inside, you save on repeated trips to the party table!


Every family has their own version of seven layer dip, so you will definitely see many variations. I have had seven layer dips with both black beans and refried beans, with ground beef or turkey, and with plain chopped tomatoes instead of a piquant salsa. Some people use cilantro instead of scallions as their seventh layer. Others use lettuce, canned green chiles, or Mexican corn as one of the seven ingredients. In addition, you can use whatever proportions of the ingredients that you'd like, as long as no one ingredient eclipses the others.


Although there is room for creativity, it is generally accepted that there are six necessary ingredients that must be included in a seven layer dip. These are: (1) beans, (2) cheese, (3) sour cream, (4) tomatoes, (5) avocado, and (6) olives. (The seventh ingredient can be almost anything you would like. Well, maybe not pasta or chocolate, but you get my drift.)


This is my family's recipe.

Seven Layer Dip (Salsa de Siete Capas)
1 16oz can of refried beans
1 4.25oz can of pre-sliced black olives
1 cup of pico de gallo salsa (or 1/4 cup of jarred salsa with 1 large tomato, chopped)
1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
1 cup of sour cream (or nonfat Greek yogurt)
1 tbsp of cumin (or taco seasoning)
2 scallion sprigs, chopped and with the root end removed
2 large avocados, peeled, pitted, and roughly smashed
4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
tabasco, to taste
1 large bag of corn tortilla chips


Layer a wide transparent bowl with the ingredients, starting with the refried beans (with the cumin and tabasco mixed inside). Follow the bean layer with a layer of sour cream, shredded cheese, smashed avocados and garlic, pico de gallo salsa, black olives, and finally, the chopped scallions. Use the back of a wide spoon or spatula to help you spread the creamy ingredients. Serve the dip with corn tortilla chips and voraciously enjoy the dip in front of the television and with friends.



Also, instead of serving the dip in a large bowl, you can use a plate, individual custard ramekins (if they are transparent glass or plastic), or lowball liquor glasses. If serving individual portions in ramekins or liquor glasses, garnish each portion with a white or blue corn tortilla chip. This way of serving seven layer dip will result in less mess (in the dip itself), but will require the washing of many more dishes! Either way, I hope you enjoy this dip, I know I do!


20 comments:

  1. I never tasted a 7 layer dip before but these one's look so appetizing, apart & crazy! Waw! You nailed all of the flavours! Yummmmmmm,...Are there any leftover's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophie! I do hope you try it, it is every simple to do! And there were leftovers, but we gobbled them up today!

      Delete
  2. You really made a standard pot luck dish look great PE! A belated Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the Mother's Day wishes, Kirk! I hope you and the Missus had a great Mother's Day as well!

      Delete
  3. I love dips too, this is one of my favorites. What do you think about a potluck of just dips and things to dip in? Wouldn't that be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are proposing what I think you are proposing, I think that is a great idea! We could invite Ben and Ken and have a wonderful time!

      Delete
  4. Why have I never thought to make my own seven layer dip? This looks delicious! I'm definitely making it before the week is out. And thanks for the tip on using yogurt instead of sour cream. Now I don't even have to go shopping! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my experience, full fat yogurt tastes the best, but the low fat version works very well!

      Delete
    2. I tried this today. It's delicious!!! You don't even notice that the yogurt isn't sour cream.

      Delete
    3. Yippee! Thank you, Agent 713! I love that yogurt is also healthier (with all of those digestive enzymes) and it works in a pinch! I only found out that yogurt worked when I ran out of sour cream, and I actually like it better!

      Delete
  5. Very nice.... must try that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do! Please let me know what you think!

      Delete
  6. Was this really for a party or just Saturday afternoon at Passionate Eater's house? LOL. I really REALLY wanted to see a picture of the bowl after everyone's dug into it! ... And if there's a dip potluck, I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made me blush out of embarrassment! (Yes, all of the dip was just for me! No party, unfortunately.) And I can't wait to see you and Foodhoe again! Dip party? Why yes, thanks! I will try to propose that as a Foodbuzz 24X24 event and see if we can get their sponsorship! (Yes, I am a sell out!)

      Delete
  7. This seven-layer dip is just so mouth-watering to look at. I love anything with avocado, tomatoes, and cheese. I am not even going to wait for a party to whip this out. Bookmarking for reference! I am just excited to try this now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!! Which led me to yours.

    Can't wait to check out your recipes!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you mind if I quote a
    couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your
    webpage? My website is in the
    exact same area of interest as yours and my visitors would certainly benefit from
    a lot of the information you
    provide here. Please let me know if this alright with
    you. Appreciate it!

    Take a look at my weblog View here

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm..it look very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow it is a wonderful day for me with this recipe.Your special recipe is so yummy with this heavenly combination of fresh ingredients . It looks delicious and nutritious and I love it. All I can say, this is totally perfect and for sure my family love this. I cannot wait to taste this healthy recipe . Feeling excited to serve this. Thanks for your blog. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhhh the seven layer dip is wonderfull, in my family everyone has their own version, but when you start eaten it you can stop. it is delicious mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I read and enjoy every comment, and will try to reply if time permits. If you have a blog, please leave a link. I love to discover new and delicious sites!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...