Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Grass Is Greener on St. Patrick's Day

Deviating from those tasty food blogs that are featuring recipes on how to make steaming loaves of freshly-baked soda bread or hot corned beef brisket and cabbage, today, I am going to post up some "green" non-Irish foods to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day!

In school, I was one of those kids who always forgot to wear green and instead ended up wearing purplish, silver-dollar-sized bruises on my forearms from being pinched the entire day. I quickly learned to say, "I am wearing green underwear!"

Nowadays, I no longer say, "I am wearing green underwear!" Instead, I say, "I ate green today for lunch," and thus I successfully avoid the onslaught of stubby little pinching fingers. Today, I really did eat green today: green tortellini and lentils! . . . I guess you can say I have a thing for green food.

Happy St. Pattie's Day everyone!

8 comments:

  1. I forgot to wear green today, too...and it felt pretty weird watching the parade where everyone had green clothes and trinkets.

    But I DID eat broccoli today! That counts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was usually the kid who forgot to wear green too ... but I'd make up silly rules, like "well, my family actually IS Irish, so I don't have to wear green and you can't pinch me!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. PE, did you have any green beer to celebrate the day?

    I count my veggies as my green too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a good combination, good and filling too...hope your St. Paddy's Day was a happy one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful beautiful! i don't think i wore nor ate green on st. paddy's day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the pasta really looks wonderful! And I love any food that is green color =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to Ruskin Elementary School in mixed blue and white collar part of San Jose. The boys always punched instead of pinched. I usually yelled, "I'm not @#$%-ing Irish" and punched them right back on the arm.

    Kids shouldn't dish it if they can't take it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, that totally counts Taste Tester! Thus, if people pinched you, I hope you pinched right back!

    Hey, I've heard that rule from my Irish friends too Charise, it's called the "Irish Immunity!"

    I didn't have green beer Archivarian, but I bought discounted St. Patrick's Day green beer at the supermarket the day afterwards! Does that count?

    Thank you Wind Whisperer, I also hope that you had a great holiday too! With lots of delicious Irish foods and fun!

    What Pink Nest? Of all the people, I always see you as the most festive! I'd love to go to a dinner party of your's, as I know it would rival those of Ina Garten and Martha Stewart.

    I saw that multicolored pasta on your site Gattina, and I'll say that your pasta looked more wonderful than mine! ;)

    You show 'em who's boss Chubby Panda! Although we ain't the fightin' Irish, we can be the fightin' other people!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I read and enjoy every comment, and will try to reply if time permits. If you have a blog, please leave a link. I love to discover new and delicious sites!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...